The AAHP Executive Committee (EC) is comprised of advisory board members who counsel the Department of Health and Human Services in its implementation and evaluation of the program. Members include representatives from local community organizations and professionals from various fields, including grant writing, healthcare, law, marketing, IT, events planning, politics and finance.
The EC, which meets on a regular basis in Silver Spring, MD, is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Advise the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) on the physical and mental health disparities of the Black population in Montgomery County, as well as, the effect that social determinants of health have on the health of this population.
- Promote and support the mission, programmatic needs, and services of the African American Health Program (AAHP).
- Advise and establish priorities for the strategic direction of AAHP.
- Guide the development of the AAHP strategic plan and monitor the implementation.
- Ensure that AAHP’s health and wellness focus incorporates primary and secondary prevention approaches.
- Work closely with AAHP to ensure desired outcomes are achieved for our target population utilizing data and other measures needed to support decisions.
- Advocate for resources (including financial and people) for AAHP.
- Meet monthly with DHHS Program Manager and key AAHP staff, as well as, develop and maintain regular communications with DHHS via monthly and special meetings, as well as, through other means as necessary.
- Make recommendations and assist in health planning, budget requests, and program development to eliminate the many health disparities that plague the Black community.
- Establish and oversee mechanisms (including the AAHP Executive Subcommittees and Executive Coalition) that promote coordination of efforts with respect to AAHP’s mission and each of its priority health areas.
- Propose actions to remedy indirect contributing factors to health disparities, remove associated barriers to such remedies, and assist with obtaining resources that can contribute to the remedies.
- Serve as a governance mechanism through which all members of the Executive Committee, community, and other interested parties can reach agreement on a direction that will result in desired outcomes as it relates to health disparities for the target population.
- Provide a forum whereby members of the Executive Committee, community, and other interested parties can raise issues and request an adjustment in the direction, resources, or timing of AAHP.
- Provide representation to the County’s Healthy Montgomery Task Force and partner with the County’s Commission on Health, FIMR, and other County boards, commissions, committees, and advisory groups.
- Identify and establish partnerships with hospitals, public health organizations, community-based organizations, academia, providers, community representatives, and other interested parties that can further the mission, vision and programmatic needs of AAHP.
- Provide input to the County’s Community Assessment health plan that addresses the status of health disparities, including health problems identification, problem analysis incorporating the identification of risk factors, direct contributing factors, and indirect contributing factors.
Current Executive Committee Members
- Beatrice Miller, RN, MS, Co-Chair
- Jacquelyn Williams, MPH, Co-Chair
- Marilyn Gaston, MD, Co-Chair
- Pat Grant, MS (Immediate Past Chair)
- Michelle Hawkins, DNP, MSN, MBA, RN (Commission on Health Liaison)
- Arva Jackson, MSW (Past Chair)
- Art Williams, MS*
- Jacquelyn Williams, MPH
Past Executive Committee Members
- Tina Clark, MS*
- Patricia Horton, RN, MBA*
- Lizzie James, RN*
- Alma Williams, MPH*
*AAHP founding member
- Marilyn Gaston, MD, MPH, Chair, Cardiovascular and Diabetes
- Michelle Hawkins, DNP, MSN, MBA, RN, Co-Chair, Infant Mortality
- Jacquelyn Williams, MPH, Chair, Data Workgroup
- LaDonna Howell, Co-Chair, Cancer
- Regina Barnes , Co-Chair, Cancer
- Stacey Mangham, Co-Chair, Cardiovascular and Diabetes
- Karen Williams, Co-Chair, Cardiovascular and Diabetes
- Jessica White, Co-Chair, Behavioral and Mental Health
- Brandon Estime, Co-Chair, Youth and Young Adults
- Kimberly Myers, Co-Chair, Infant Mortality
- Pat Grant, MS, Chair, AAHP Executive Coalition
- Vacant, Chair/Co-Chair, HIV, AIDS, STI